Web Development Sandbox
Hello and welcome to my portfolio website. My name is Kelly Marshall and I’m a web developer, web and print designer, and photographer based in Glasgow, Scotland.
My UX/UI web design experience includes the use of HTML5, CSS3, LESS and SASS to produce responsive websites, e-mail campaigns, interactive maps, photo and video galleries and more, as well as wireframing in Balsamiq
My print design experience includes the design and prepress of printed advertising, package design, catalogs, brochures, annual reports, business proposals, logos and branding and promotional materials.
I have a BFA in Photography from the Maryland Institute, College of Art. My photography experience includes B&W and colour photography, photochemistry, studio lighting, studio portraiture and high-end digital editing.
Talented print and web designer/developer with over 25 years of professional experience who is self-motivated, client-centric, creative, insightful and versatile. Adept at innovating user experience for the web and multimedia applications. Exceptional interpersonal skills and is efficient, organised, resourceful, flexible, reliable and willing to listen and contribute with clients and team members. Seeking both consulting and full-time opportunities with companies that demand high-quality design to further business goals and professional image.
- CSS(3) / SASS / LESS
- Node / Grunt / Gulp / Webpack
- Angular / Vue
- Jasmine / Karma / Jest / Cypress
- Git / Bitbucket / SVN
- Jekyll / Joomla / Wordpress
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Responsive Web Design
- Progressive Enhancement
- W3C Standards & Accessibility
- Cross-Browser Compatibility
- Google Analytics
VisitScotland— Edinburgh, Scotland (Aug 2018 - Present)
I am currently working as part of an internal development team tasked with a major re-platforming project for VisitScotland's flagship website, www.visitscotland.com.
- Worked with Design Team, Staff Innovation Group, Software Engineering, other UI Developer and Product Owner on a Visit Scotland 50th Anniversary Timeline. I designed and implemented the initial prototype with AOS animate and techniques including sticky navigation, Flexbox, css blend modes and background attachment.
- Created proof of concept interactive tourism destination maps focussed on accessibility and with rich features including filtering and sorting destination product and event data on name, product type, rating, price and event date.
- Worked with UX, Design and Software Engineering teams to create complex itinerary CMS templates integrating destination product data and itinerary maps.
- Worked with Software Engineering team on maps and to gain knowledge of map modules, location and product data APIs. Contributed documentation to share this knowledge with the wider development team.
Peninsula Business Services— Glasgow, Scotland (Aug 2017 - May 2018)
- Worked with development team to research and implement Postcode Anywhere API service in a client address search and entry feature, making address entry easier for end users and reducing errors.
- Refactored project CSS/LESS directory structure and added automated css code linting to the project, making the project files easier to maintain.
Arnold Clark— Glasgow, Scotland (Feb 2014 - May 2017)
- Liaised with Worldpay technical support team and back-end developer to upgrade legacy online payment system on https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com to Worldpay’s Hosted Payment Pages. The new system was responsive on tablet and mobile devices by default and contributed to a 21% increase in mobile revenue vs the month prior to the switch.
- Worked with team Web Designer and Product Owner to simplify and add Guest Checkout feature to the checkout process on https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com. This combined with other website improvements contributed to a 31% increase in revenue overall for 2016 vs 2015.
The University of Glasgow— Glasgow, Scotland (Oct 2012 - Nov 2013)
Web Content Officer
Web design, web development and support for a wide range of academic and services staff.
- Developed a searchable pop-up video gallery in CSS and jQuery
- Developed a reusable magazine and responsive e-mail content templates
- Developed a customised PHP/MySQL database and web-based editor to store research and academic unit urls, cross references and associations
University of Glasgow— Glasgow, Scotland (Oct 2011 - Sep 2012)
Web Developer / Research Assistant
Admit One— New York, NY (Feb 2008 - Sep 2010)
Print and Web Designer
Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine— Bethesda, MD (Nov 2002 - Nov 2007)
Print and Web Designer
LADO International College— Washington, DC (Feb 1999 - Dec 2000)
Print and Web Designer
Channing L. Bete Company— South Deerfield, MA (Jun 1996 - Jan 1999)
Freelance Designer— New York, NY (May 1994 - May 1996)
Digital Stock Connection—Rockville, MD (Jun 1993 - May 1994)
Elegant Images—Towson, MD (Jun 1992 - Mar 1993)
Studio Portrait Photographer
University of Glasgow— MSc in Information Technology (Sep 2010 - Sep 2011)
Activities: Postgraduate Student Representative
Maryland Institute, College of Art— BFA in Photography (Sep 1989 - Jun 1993)
Areas of emphasis: B&W and colour photography and development, film and video production, photochemistry, alternative photo processes, studio lighting, 2D design, computer illustration, painting, drawing, sculpture, art history and the history of photography
Edinburgh Napier University— International Student Mobility, Photography Program (Sep 1991 - Dec 1991)
Areas of emphasis: Commercial B&W and colour photography and development, studio lighting, photojournalism, medium and large format photography
Print Portfolio / References
Available upon request.